225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 9r
1) Christ-Logos, cross-nimbed, sits on cushioned bench with feet on footstool, raising right hand in blessing and holding scroll in left hand.
Scene caption, inscribed ICH VIL SEZZEN IN MEINEN STUL.
2) Lucifer, crowned, wearing garment decorated with stars, sits on faldstool, with right hand raised toward the Christ-Logos and scroll in left hand.
3) Angel: Fall -- Archangel Michael, nimbed, with sword in raised right hand and shield in left hand, approaches two devils.
4) Eve: Creation -- Christ-Logos, cross-nimbed, raises right hand and with left hand holds right wrist of Eve, nude, issuing from side of Adam, nude, with head resting on left hand, reclining on ground, beside tree.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE MACHET GOT ADA VN(DE) EUA(M).
5) Adam and Eve: commanded by God -- Christ-Logos, cross-nimbed, with left hand extended toward tree, raises right hand toward Adam and Eve, both nude.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE BOT ER IN DAZ OBEZ.
6) Adam and Eve: Fall of Man -- Tree, entwined by serpent, is flanked by Adam extending left hand and Eve, both nude, eating fruit.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE EZZEN SIE DAZ OBEZ.
7) Adam and Eve: Expulsion -- Nimbed angel raises sword in right hand and with left hand pushes Adam and Eve, both concealing nakedness with fig leaves and departing to right.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE VER TRIBET ER SIE UZ DEM PARADISE.
(1 of 51)