225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Almanac and calendar, with thunder prognostications
MS M.941 fol. 1r
Folio divided into seven registers. The upper two are the end of a calendar with occupations and zodiac signs:
1) Month, Occupation: November -- Man, wearing apron, holding axe in both hands, stands above small cow or goat, horned, laying on ground. Above is scroll inscribed NOUEMBER. Decorated frame around figure. To right, enclosed in circle with rays and markings, is bow and arrow (Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius) and crescent moon (?).
2) Month, Occupation: December -- Man, crowned, wearing ermine-trimmed robe, stands and holds goblet in right hand. Above is scroll inscribed DECEMBER. Decorated frame around figure. To right, enclosed in circle with rays and markings, is head of goat (Zodiac Sign: Capricornus) and crescent moon.
The lower five registers contain illustrations of thunder prognostications, enclosed in decorated frames, with representation of thunderstorms at top, each with accompanying caption at right:
3) January -- Two men, each striking each other in the head with axes, battle. Before them are plants, possibly with fruits or drops of blood.
4) February -- Man, wearing nightcap, lays in bed beneath covers. Beside the bed stands physician, wearing hat, holding urinal in right hand (Scene, Occupational: Doctoring).
5) March -- Two men, wearing hats, fight with swords (Scene, Battle).
6) April -- Bird rests in nest. Below are three tied bundles of grain (?).
7) May -- Three plants or trees (?).
(1 of 6)