225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Single leaf from the Winchester Bible
England, Winchester, between 1160 and 1180
MS M.619 recto
1) Hannah: praying in Temple (I Samuel 01:09-13) -- Hannah, veiled, with knees slightly bent, raising hands before draped altar beneath two hanging lamps and curtains drawn to sides.
2) Hannah: questioned by Eli (I Samuel 01:14-18) -- Hannah, veiled, extending right forefinger toward Eli, wearing cap, with right hand raised in addressing her, seated on bench with footstool.
Two scenes in double arcade of building surmounted by crosses.
Right column in three registers:
3) Samuel: brought to Eli (I Samuel 01:24-25) -- Group of male servants, including one bearing jar on shoulder, all standing behind three barrels and loaves, and beside Hannah, veiled, presenting child Samuel with hands raised toward extended hands of Eli wearing High Priest’s miter with two infulae, beside draped altar; in foreground, three bullocks (scene, sacrificial).
Scene within architectural setting.
4) Samuel: called by God (I Samuel 03:04-09), and 5) Samuel: warned by God (I Samuel 03:09-14) or Samuel: favored by God (I Samuel 03:20) -- Eli, wearing cap, with head on pillow, seated in draped bed, raising right forefinger toward youthful Samuel with hands raised, both beneath curtains entwined around columns;
to right, Christ-Logos, cross-nimbed, as half figure, in circular mandorla, with right hand pointing below toward youthful Samuel with head on pillow, reclining asleep in draped bed, beneath hanging lamp; to right, ark of covenant on draped altar.
Scenes in architectural settings.
6) Saul: meeting Samuel (I Samuel 09:18-21) -- Male attendant with right hand raised, behind Saul, wearing ermine mantle, with right hand raised, before Samuel, nimbed, bearded, with hands raised.
7) Saul: anointed (I Samuel 10:01) -- Samuel, nimbed, with right hand raised to and with left hand pouring oil from vessel of affusion on head of Saul with knees bent, accompanied by group of men, one wearing pointed hat.
Two scenes separated by column.
(1 of 2)