225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 13v
1) Joseph: Dream I, and Joseph: Dream II -- Joseph reclines on draped, four-post bed, below heads of Personifications of Sun and Moon, and stars. To right, eight sheaves of wheat in two rows.
Scene caption, inscribed DIZ IST IOSEPH IACOBES SUN. DEM TRA(V)MTE WIE SUNNE VN(DE) MANE VN(DE) EILEF STERNEN AN BETTEN.
2) Joseph: sent to Shechem -- Joseph holds scroll in left hand and raises right hand, standing before Jacob, bearded, with scroll in right hand, seated on cushioned bench with footstool, beside two brethren with left hands on sheathed swords at waists; one raises right hand.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SENDET IACOB IOSEPH NAH SINEN BRUDERN. DA SI DES FIES HI(E)TTEN.
3) Joseph: meeting Man in Shechem -- Bearded man, with scroll in right hand, extends left hand toward Joseph gesturing.
Scene caption, inscribed IOSEPH FRAGET DISEN MAN VMBE SINE BRUDERE.
4) Joseph: Brethren conspiring -- Joseph, name inscribed IOSEPH, stands beside tree and flock of two goats and sheep and indicates with right hand three brethren holding scrolls, one raising left hand.
Scene caption, inscribed SINE BRUDERE SP(RA)HEN WIR SULN DEN TROVMERE ERSLAN VN(DE) V(ER)SU(O)CHEN WAZ IM HELFEN SINE TROVME.
5) Joseph: cast into Pit -- Brother lowers Joseph into well.
Scene caption, inscribed DO SP(RA)H EIN(ER) WIR SULN IN WERFEN IN DIE CISTERNEN.
(10 of 51)