225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1500
MS H.5 fol. 5v
1) In upper vignette, Denis of Paris, decapitated, neck nimbed, wearing bishop's vestments, holds head, wearing miter, with both hands and supports crozier in crook of left arm. Figure stands in vaulted room with tile floor. Feast celebrated October 9.
2) In center vignette, Evangelist Luke, nimbed, sits beneath canopy and writes on parchment in his lap, beside his symbol (ox). Figures in room. Feast celebrated October 18.
3) In lower vignette, Apostle Simon, nimbed, holding cross staff, faces Apostle Jude, nimbed, holding sword (?) in left hand and raising right forefinger. Figures in room. Feast of Apostles Simon and Jude celebrated October 28.
1) Month, Occupation: October -- Man, wearing hat, treads grapes in vat in front of another vat of grapes. In background are second man, wearing hat, carrying basket of grapes on back, and three barrels on their sides.
2) Zodiac Sign: Scorpio -- Scorpion in landscape setting.
Miniatures within architectural frame.
(10 of 287)