225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Belgium, Bruges, ca. 1500
MS M.52 fol. 6r
Historiated border decorated with architectural ornament and containing cama³aeu figures, medallions, and miniature in lower border frames calendar.
Top border, in cama³aeu:
Scene, Sports and Games: Hunting, Bird -- Group of figures bait birds with cages.
Right border, decorated with cama³aeu figures, contains five medallions and panel with the following scenes:
1) Virgin Mary: Birth -- Anna, veiled, reclines on bed. Midwife extends infant Virgin Mary, nimbed, swaddled, towards her. Joachim kneels with hands joined at end of bed.
Above medallion, two angels, kneeling with hands joined, in cama³aeu, within architectural setting.
Feast celebrated September 8.
2) Heraclius: bringing Cross to Jerusalem -- In background, Heraclius, on horseback, advances toward city gates of Jerusalem with two other horsemen. Angel appears above them. In foreground, Heraclius (shown twice), crowned, wearing only tunic, carrying tau cross, stands before city gates. His garments are thrown over his horse, led by attendant. Second horseman follows.
Feast of Exaltation of Cross celebrated September 14.
3) Francis of Assisi: receiving Stigmata -- Beside oak tree on rocky outcropping, Francis of Assisi, wearing Franciscan habit, kneels with hands raised, receiving stigmata from Christ as seraph nailed to cross.
Feast of Stigmata celebrated September 17.
4) Evangelist, Matthew: Martyrdom -- Executioner transfixes Evangelist Matthew in back with sword. Matthew kneels with hands joined before altar. Second man looks on.
Below, two cranes in cama³aeu.
Feast celebrated September 21.
5) Archangel Michael: transfixing Satan -- Archangel Michael, wearing armor, tramples two demons and transfixes one with cross-staff.
Feast celebrated September 29.
6) Zodiac Sign: Scorpio -- Scorpion within landscape.
Below, SCORPIO inscribed in cama³aeu.
Month, Occupation: September -- Laborers work fields. Man plows field with plow pulled by two horses. Beyond, second man sows seed held in apron. Third laborer, raising whip, drives horses pulling harrow. Beyond field, near building, man thrashes acorns with stick for pigs gathered around base of tree. Birds fly from tree. In background, man rides one of two horses pulling cart.
(10 of 93)