225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1500
MS H.5 fol. 6r
1) Above column of architectural frame is half figure of bishop, wearing miter, raising right hand in blessing, beside crozier.
2) In uppper portion of column of architectural frame, bishop, wearing miter and vestments, stands, with right hand raised in blessing.
3) In lower portion of column of architectural frame, Catherine of Alexandria, wearing crown, holds sword in right and and palm branch in left hand. Feast celebrated November 25.
1) Trinity: Two Persons flanking Dove and Saints, Hierarchy -- In upper vignette, Dove of Holy Ghost is flanked by God, raising right hand in blessing, and Christ, with cross-projecting nimbus, holding globe surmounted by cross in left hand, open book with pseudo-inscription between them. Trinity is in front of rays in cloud-edged arc of heaven, above group of male and female saints, all nimbed, including Virgin Mary, veiled, joined hand raised, cardinal, wearing red hat, pope wearing triple-crowned tiara, female saint wearing crown, and Mary Magdalene, wearing turban, holding ointment jar in left hand. Feast of All Saints celebrated November 1.
2) Purgatory -- In center vignette, angel, with hands extended, addresses one soul with crossed arms among three souls, two with joined hands raised, all amid flames. Faces of three other souls (in red camaïeu technique) are in flames. Feast of All Souls celebrated November 2.
3) In lower vignette, Apostle Andrew, nimbed, stands holding saltire cross in left hand and open book with pseudo-inscription in right hand. Figure in room with tile floor. Feast celebrated November 30.
1) Month, Occupation: November -- Man, wearing hat and apron, kneels and cuts throat of pig, laying on ground, next to broom and butcher's knife.
2) Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius -- Centaur aims bow and arrow in landscape setting.
Miniatures within architectural frame.
(11 of 287)