225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Hours of Henry VIII
France, Tours, ca. 1500
MS H.8 fol. 6r
Month, Occupation: November -- Within a grove of oak trees, man, supporting himself with pole, watches over several pigs eating acorns on ground. Second man strikes branches of oak tree, knocking acorns down.
In background is landscape.
Below miniature, historiated margin frames calendar.
1) Large group of saints, all nimbed, including one with hands joined. Feast of All Saint's celebrated November 1.
2) Personification of Death, as skeleton, wearing mantle, raising spear. Feast of All Soul's celebrated November 2.
3) Martin of Tours, nimbed, wearing bishop's miter and vestments, raises right hand in blessing and holds open book in left hand. Feast celebrated November 11.
1) Catherine of Alexandria, nimbed, crowned, holds palm branch in right hand and sword in left hand. Feast celebrated November 25.
2) Apostle Andrew, nimbed, holds saltire cross with both hands. Feast celebrated November 30.
1) Briccius of Tours, nimbed, wearing bishop's miter and vestments, half-figure, holds open book in right hand and crozier in left hand. Feast celebrated November 13.
2) Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius -- Centaur with bow and arrow within roundel.
3) Cecilia of Rome, nimbed, half-figure, holds palm branch.
4) Clement of Rome, nimbed, wearing triple-crowned tiara, half-figure, holds papal cross in left hand.
(11 of 56)