225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 14v
1) Joseph: before Potiphar's Wife -- Joseph flees toward left, with his cloak grasped by Potiphar's wife, veiled, at open portals of building.
Scene caption, inscribed DIZ IST IOSEPH VNDE SINES HERREN WIB.
2) Joseph: accused by Potiphar's Wife -- Potiphar's wife, veiled, extends cloak toward right hand of Potiphar, wearing cap.
Scene caption, inscribed DIE CLAGET DEM MANNE VB(ER) IOSEPH DIE NOTNUNFT.
3) Joseph: sent to Prison by Potiphar -- Two men, one with staff, lead Joseph with left hand raised.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE HEIZET ER IN IN DEN CHERCHER WERFEN.
4) Joseph: in Prison -- Joseph, name inscribed IOSEPH, with right hand raised, is flanked by baker and butler. One raises hands, and the other, with his chin touched by Joseph, raises his right hand. All sit, in prison with closed portals.
Scene caption, inscribed D(ER) SCHENCHE. DES CHUNIGES VN(DE) DER PFISTER.
5) Pharaoh: Dream -- Pharaoh, crowned, reclines in draped, four-post bed. To right, three fat kine are followed by two lean kine emerging from river.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SLEFET DER KUNICH VN(DE) TROVMET IM WIE ER VZ DEM MERE GAN SIE SIBEN FEIZE OCHSEN. VN(DE) DAR NACH SIBEN MAGERE.
(12 of 51)