225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
England, Oxford, ca. 1270
MS M.756 fol. 7r
1) Virgin Mary: Annunciation -- Archangel Gabriel, nimbed, with scroll inscribed AUE MARIA in left hand, stands raising right hand toward Virgin Mary, nimbed, veiled, dove of Holy Ghost at her ear, standing with right hand raised and left hand lowered to chair; both flank vase.
Scene beneath two trefoil arches.
2) Virgin Mary: Visitation -- Virgin Mary Elizabeth, both nimbed and veiled, embrace before chair beneath trefoil arch, beside cross-surmounted building.
3) Christ: Nativity -- Virgin Mary, nimbed, veiled, with right hand raised to face, reclines on draped bed, before Christ Child, swaddled, lying in architectural crib, beneath which hangs burning lamp, and above which are heads of ass and ox, flanked at left by nimbed female saint, possibly midwife Salome, raising joined hands toward the crib, and at right by Joseph the Carpenter, nimbed, wearing pointed cap, seated with right hand raised and tau-staff in left hand.
Scene beneath trefoil arch.
4) Shepherds: Annunciation -- Angel descends toward three shepherds, two hooded, two wearing belted pouches, holding peda, standing with right hands raised, and one seated, playing bagpipe, all tending herd of sheep and two goats, and dog on hind legs.
Scene in hilly landscape with three trees, beneath arcade of three trefoil arches.
5) Magi: Adoration -- Among three Magi, two, crowned, one as the middle-aged wearing vair mantle, and the youngest raising left hand indicating star (not represented) both hold covered vessels, standing behind the eldest kneeling, with right hand extending covered vessel toward Christ Child, cross-nimbed, with right hand raised in blessing and spherical object in left hand, seated on lap of and supported by Virgin Mary, nimbed, crowned, veiled, seated on bench on raised podium.
Scene beneath arcade of four arches.
6) Christ: Presentation -- Prophetess Anna, nimbed, veiled, holds basket of three doves, behind Virgin Mary, nimbed, veiled, and Simeon, nimbed, with draped hands, both holding Christ Child, cross-nimbed, with right hand raised in blessing and object in left hand, standing on draped altar.
Scene beneath trefoil arch with white floreate ornament in spandrels.
All six compartments against gold backgrounds, within decorated frame.
(13 of 204)