225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 15r
1) Pharaoh: Dream, Joseph interpreting -- Joseph stands with scroll in left hand; his right hand is held by guard, wearing cap, with staff in left hand, before Pharaoh, name inscribed PHARAO, crowned, holding scroll in right hand and scepter in left hand, seated on cushioned bench with footstool.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE BEDIVTET IOSEPH DEM CHUNIGE DEN TROVM.
2) Jacob: Journey to Egypt -- Jacob, bearded, and two sons sit in sailboat with animal prow, on water; one son holds oar.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE VERT IACOB ZU SINEM SUN IOSEPH I(N) EGYPTEN.
3) Joseph: Pharaoh, Jacob presented -- Two brethren, holding staves and carrying sacks over left shoulders, follow Jacob, bearded, name inscribed IACOB, with his right hand grasped by Joseph, name inscribed IOSEPH, before open portals of building. Inside, Pharaoh, inscribed PHARAO, crowned, sits on cushioned faldstool, raising right hand toward them and holding scepter in left hand.
4) Moses: Birth -- Jochebed, wearing cap, reclines on draped bed, extending left hand toward infant Moses, swaddled, held by one of two veiled mifwives.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE IST MOYSES GEBORN.
5) Moses: in Bulrushes -- Miriam, veiled, places basket in river.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE WIRFET MAN IN IN DAZ MERE.
(13 of 51)