225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 15v
1) Moses: in Bulrushes -- Daughter of Pharaoh, crowned, extends right hand toward female attendant lifting from river basket containing swaddled infant Moses.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE VANT DES CHUNIGES THOT(ER) MOYSEN VN(DE) HIEZ IN T(RA)GEN HEIM.
2) Moses: Burning Bush, and Moses: Miracle of Rod changed to Serpent -- God, nimbed, with scroll inscribed IN DAZ LANT ZE IER(USA)L(E)M in left hand, appears in burning bush before Moses, horned, with right hand extended and scroll and serpent in left hand.
Scene caption, inscribed GOT VZ DE(M) BRENNENDE(N) BUSCHE SP(RA)H ZU MOYSI. DU SOLT MIN VOLC DI IUDEN.
3) Moses: Miracle of Rods -- Beside serpent, Aaron, name inscribed AARON, and horned Moses, name inscribed MOYSES, with scroll in right hand and left hand extended, stand before Pharaoh, inscribed PHARAO, crowned, holding scroll in right hand and scepter in left hand, seated on cushioned bench with footstool, in building.
4) Moses: Plague of Firstborn -- Devil raises club in left hand and with right hand grasps hair of male child above fallen sheep and calf to left of building marked with cross.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE ERSLET D(ER) TUBEL DAZ ERSTE GEBORNE IN IECHLICHEM HUS.
5) Moses: crossing Red Sea -- Pharaoh, crowned, in mail, with hands extended, and three of four soldiers, wearing helmets and mail, stand in water; the fourth, with sheathed sword, falls.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE VERT D(ER) KUNING NACH VNDE SIN HERE VN(DE) ERTRUNCHEN ALLE.
To right, Aaron, wearing conical hat, with blossoming rod in right hand and left hand raised, and two Israelites, one with right hand raised, follow Moses with right hand raised and rod in left hand, entering Red Sea.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE VARN DI JUDEN VB(ER) DAZ ROTE MERE.
(14 of 51)