225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 16r
1) Moses: communicating with God -- God, nimbed, with scroll in left hand and right hand extended, emerges from starred cloud toward Aaron, raising right hand, and horned Moses raising left hand.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE GEBIVTET GOT MOYSI.
2) Moses: smiting Rock -- Six Israelites, wearing conical hats, stand behind horned Moses holding rod in right hand before rock from which water issues.
Scene caption, inscribed DAZ ER DEN IVDEN DAZ WAZZER UZ DEM STEINE LAZE FLIEZEN. DAZ SI GETRINCHEN.
3) Moses: receiving Law -- Moses, horned, stands on Mount Sinai, inscribed, and receives Tables of Law from God emerging from starred cloud.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE GIT GOT MOYSI DI EVF DEM BERGE SYNAY.
4) Moses: breaking Tables of Law, and Moses: Golden Calf -- Moses, horned, holds two of four broken pieces of Tables. Golden calf on pillar is worshipped by group of Israelites. One kneels, playing psaltery; two extend hands; another plays fiddle with bow; five, wearing conical hats, stand in background; Aaron stands in foreground at right.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE WIRFET MOYSES DIE TAVELN DAZ SI ZE VERT DUR DAZ SIEZ DAZ CALF ANBETEN.
5) Moses: Miracle of Manna -- Six Israelites, wearing conical hats, catch falling manna in garments.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE REGENT IN DAZ HIMELISCHE BROT VON HIMELE.
(15 of 51)