225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 17r
1) Samuel: communicating with God -- Christ-Logos, cross-nimbed, emerges from starred clouds, holding scroll in left hand and with right hand addressing Samuel, bearded, with hands extended.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SP(RA)H GOT ZV SAMUELE.
2) Saul: Samuel demanding Agag -- Samuel, bearded, extends scroll in right hand toward Saul, crowned, wearing coat of mail with sheathed sword, with right hand raised. He grasps right hand of Agag, inscribed AMALECH, crowned, with left hand raised and left shoulder touched by one of two soldiers wearing helmets and coat of mail; one holds spear, and the other holds hilt of sheathed sword.
Scene caption, inscribed SAGE SAUL ER EN SULN NICHT ME CHUNIG SIN.
3) David: anointed -- Within building with bolted portals, Samuel, name inscribed SAMUEL, holds crown in left hand, and raises horn above head of David, name inscribed DAUID, partly kneeling with hands extended.
4) David: slaying Lion -- David, name inscribed DAUID, stands, grasping jaws of lion, before ram and two sheep.
5) David: slinging at Goliath -- David swings stone in sling in right hand, holds club in left hand, and stands before Goliath, wearing helmet, coat of mail, and sheathed sword, raising spear in right hand and shield in left hand. Stone strikes the giant's head from which blood flows. Both are flanked by two groups of soldiers wearing helmets and coats of mail; some are armed with spears, swords, or shields.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE VACHT DAUID WID(ER) GOLYASE.
(17 of 51)