225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 18r
1) David: petitioned by Bathsheba -- Bathsheba kneels, holding in right hand inscribed scroll and extending left hand toward David, crowned, with scepter in left hand and right hand extended, seated on cushioned bench with footstool.
Scene captions on frame and scroll, BERSABEE SV(O)CHET DES CHUNIGES DAUIDIS GENADE DA SALOMON IR SUN KUNIG WE(R)DE.
2) Solomon: anointed -- Solomon, name inscribed SALOMON, raises right hand and extends left hand. He is flanked by Zadok, wearing priest's headgear and vestments, with right hand raising horn of unction, and by Nathan holding crown in left hand and raising right hand. Both with names inscribed SADOCH D(ER) PRIESTER and NATHAN. All stand.
3) Solomon: Judgment -- Two mothers, wearing headdresses, hold scrolls. One grasps raised right arm of Solomon, crowned, holding upraised sword and nude child.
Scene caption, inscribed DIZ SINT DIE FROWEN DIE VMBE DAZ KINT STRITEN WELER IRE EZ WERE.
4) Elijah: Ascension -- Elisha, name inscribed HELYSEUS, holds mantle, beside Elijah, with left hand extended, in chariot (biga) drawn by horse ascending into clouds.
Scene caption, inscribed DIZ IST HELYAS D(ER) VF EINEM CARREN ZE HIMELE WART GEFVORT.
5) Elisha: mocked -- Elisha stands with staff in right hand and left hand extended, indicating three children devoured by three bears, before closed gate of city.
Scene caption, inscribed DIZ IST HELISEUS DER DIE KINT V(ER)FLOGETE SO DAZ SI DI BERN VND DIE WULVE ERBIZZE DURCH DAZ SI SIN SPOTTEN VN(DE) RIEFEN CALWE CALWE.
(19 of 51)