225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1500
MS H.5 fol. 1v
1) Virgin Mary: Presentation -- In upper vignette, Virgin Mary nimbed, kneels with joined hands on fifth step before high priest, wearing miter with infulae, at entrance of temple. Anna, nimbed, veiled, and Joachim, nimbed, wearing hat, right hand raised, left hand touching railing, stand behind stairs. Feast of Purification celebrated February 2.
2) Apostle, Peter: Scene, Chair at Antioch -- In center vignette, Peter, nimbed, wearing triple-crown papal tiara and vestments, holding key in left hand and raising right hand in blessing, sits on faldstool. Scene in room with canopy (?). Feast of the Chair of Apostle Peter celebrated February 22.
3) In lower vignette, male saint, possibly Julian, nimbed, stands and holds axe in right hand, his left hand indicating text of calendar. Figure in landscape setting. Feast celebrated February 27.
Agatha of Catania, nimbed, stands in column of architectural frame, holding pinchers. Feast celebrated February 5.
1) Month, Occupation: February -- Man, wearing hat, and woman, wearing headdress, sit with hands raised and extended toward fire in fire place.
2) Zodiac Sign: Pisces -- Three fishes, two facing right and one facing left, in water.
Miniatures within architectural frame.
(2 of 287)