225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Belgium, Bruges, ca. 1500
MS M.52 fol. 2r
Historiated border containing cama³aeu figures, medallions, and miniature in lower border frames calendar.
Top border, in cama³aeu:
Scene, Burlesque: Jousting -- Two groups of figures pull jousters, holding lances, astride barrels on sleds.
Left border, in cama³aeu, statue of standing male figure.
Right border, decorated with vine scrolls inhabited by figures and two rams in cama³aeu, contains four medallions and panel with the following scenes:
1) Christ: Circumcision -- Virgin Mary, nimbed, supports Christ Child, nimbed, nude, reclining on altar. Mohel circumcises Him with knife. Joseph the Carpenter, Prophetess Anna, and another male figure gather around altar.
Feast of the Circumcision celebrated January 1.
2) Magi: Adoration -- Sitting on ground within stable, Virgin Mary, nimbed, holds Christ Child, nude, nimbed, in her lap. Eldest magus, crown on ground beside him, extends vessel towards Christ Child. Middle-aged and youngest magi, both crowned, holding vessels, look on.
Feast of the Epiphany is celebrated January 6.
3) Agnes of Rome, nimbed, standing beside lamb, holds sword in left hand and open book in right hand. She appears within landscape with buildings in distance.
Feast celebrated January 21.
4) Apostle, Paul: Conversion -- God, nimbed, appearing in arc of heaven, gestures towards Apostle Paul, below, hands raised, astride falling horse. Scene within darkened landscape.
Feast of Conversion celebrated January 5.
5) Zodiac Sign: Aquarius -- Nude figure pours water from two vessels into river. Figure within landscape
Below, AQVARIVS inscribed in cama³aeu.
Month, Occupation: January -- Within room furnished with bed, woman places platter of meats on table with loaf, knife, and vessels. Cat is beside table on floor. Man is seated in chair beside fireplace, warming himself. Pitcher is at his feet.
To right, in courtyard outside of room, man, wearing cloak, walks in snow toward gate.
(2 of 93)