225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1420-1425
MS M.1004 fol. 17r
1) Virgin Mary: Annunciation -- Within vaulted church, below conical lamp, Archangel Gabriel, holds scroll inscribed AVE GRACIA PLENA DOMINUS TECUM, in left hand and extends right hand toward Virgin Mary, nimbed and veiled, kneeling, her hands crossed on her breast. Behind her is altar on which is open book. Above at left, half figure of God, nimbed, emerges from cloud, emitting rays toward Virgin Mary. Dove of Holy Ghost is on rays near her.
2) Rose within initial D.
3) In barbed quatrefoil, half-figure of white bearded man, wearing hat, possibly prophet, raising left arm toward Annunciation scene.
4) Two scrolls, encircling vines, inscribed MISSUS EST ANGELUS GABRIEL and ECCE CONCIPIES ET PARIES.
5) Virgin Mary: Life in Temple, fed by Angel (?) -- In barbed quatrefoil angel, nimbed, holding basket containing bread (?) with right hand, and covered jar in left hand.
5) Virgin Mary: Life in Temple -- In barbed quatrefoil, Virgin Mary, nimbed, seated on bench at hand loom, holding shuttle in right hand, in garden with two trees.
Margins decorated with border of foliate and floreate ornament, including strawberry, viola, pink, rose, and iris, inhabited by birds in lower margin.
Added probably after 1251, heraldic shields of France, France impaling Savoy, Savoy, Savoy with label of three points impaling France in barbed quatrefoils in corners of margins.
(21 of 248)