225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 19v
1) Joachim: Annunciation -- Angel, nimbed, emerges from starred cloud, extending hand toward Joachim, wearing conical hat, with right hand raised and tau-staff in left hand, standing beside goat nibbling tree, and dog.
Scene caption, inscribed DIN WIB ANNA SOL DIR GEBERN EINE TOCHT(ER) VON IR BUCHES FRUCHT WIRT AL DI WERLT ERLOSET.
2) Virgin Mary: Birth -- Anna, nimbed, veiled, with her head resting on right hand, reclines on draped mattress, before midwife, wearing headdress, holding swaddled, nimbed infant Virgin Mary.
3) Virgin Mary: Espousal -- High Priest, wearing pointed hat, grasps right hands of Virgin Mary, name inscribed MARIA, nimbed, veiled, with her left hand raised, and of Joseph the Carpenter, name inscribed IOSEPH, with his left hand raised.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE WIRT SI GEMALET IOSEPH.
4) Virgin Mary: Annunciation -- Archangel Gabriel, labeled ANG(E)L(U)S, nimbed, with floreate scepter in left hand, raises right hand toward Virgin Mary, name inscribed MARIA, veiled, with her right hand extended and scroll, inscribed QUO MODO FIET from Luke 1:34, in her left hand; both stand, inside building.
5) Joseph the Carpenter: Dream I -- Nimbed angel with scroll, inscribed D(ER) ENGEL SPRICHCHET ZV IOSEPH, descends from cloud toward Joseph sleeping at foot of tree from which hangs hat and staff.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SLEFET IOSEPH.
6) Virgin Mary: Visitation -- Elizabeth, wearing cross-inscribed veil, raises her left hand and holds scroll inscribed with her name, ELYZABETH, before Virgin Mary, name inscribed MARIA, veiled, with her hands crossed on her breast; both stand inside building.
(22 of 51)