225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Rouen, ca. 1480
MS M.131 fol. 13r
1) Evangelist, John: Scene, on Patmos -- John, nimbed, is seated on small island, writing with right hand on scroll on lap. Rays emerge from top of frame above his head. At left is Evangelist Symbol (eagle).
Scene in landscape with building across water, and trees and hills in distance.
2) Evangelist Luke, nimbed and wearing hat, is seated on bench, before desk on which is scroll, held by his left hand; pen is held in right hand. Behind him, resting on floor is Evangelist Symbol (ox).
Scene in room with decorated wall, windows, and tile floor.
3) Evangelist Mark, nimbed and wearing turban type of headgear, is seated on throne at lectern on which is scroll held by his left hand. He holds pen in right hand, and turns back, looking up. Evangelist Symbol (lion) sits at his feet.
4) Matthew, nimbed, holding pen in right hand, is seated on throne at lectern on which is scroll. Evangelist symbol (angel) is before him.
1) Abraham: sacrificing Isaac -- Abraham, wearing hat, raising saber with right hand and extending left hand, stands behind altar on which Isaac kneels, with joined hands raised. On ground is bound bunch of sticks. Angel hovers above saber. Rays emerge from top of frame above Abraham.
Scene in landscape with trees, and with hill in distance.
2) Moses: Burning Bush -- Bust of God, nimbed, holding tables of law with both hands, appears amid flames in bush or tree. Moses, horned, with joined hands raised, kneels looking up toward God. Moses' fur trimmed hat is on ground in front of him.
Scene in landscape with trees, and hill in distance.
Margins decorated with border of floreate and foliate ornament including columbine, and inhabited by two birds, one perched above, and looking toward, open mouth of fantastic animal.
(25 of 38)