225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 21v
1) Christ: Miracle of Loaves -- Twelve baskets filled with loaves.
Scene caption, inscribed DIZ SINT ZWELF CORVE MIT DEN BROSMEN DIE IN UBER WURDEN.
2) Christ: Transfiguration -- Christ, rays issuing from crossed nimbus, with right hand raised in blessing and holding scroll in left hand, on mount, is flanked by nimbed four apostles raising hands, including tonsured Peter. All stand.
Scene caption, inscribed HE V(ER)WANDELTE SICH GOT VF DEM BERGE.
3) Christ: Miracle of raising Widow's Son -- Christ, cross-nimbed, with scroll in left hand, extends right hand toward Widow's Son carrying bier over right shoulder, followed by veiled widow extending hands toward her son, at open portals of city gate.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE HIEZ ER UF STEN EINER WIDEWEN SVN VON DEM TODE.
4) Christ: Miracle of raising Daughter of Jairus -- Christ, cross-nimbed, with roll in left hand, extends right hand toward bed on which daughter lies, extending her right hand toward Jairus, with head draped, extending hands toward Him.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE MACHET ER DIRRE FROWEN TOCHT(ER) GESUNT.
5) Christ: anointed by Woman -- Mary Magdalen, name inscribed MARIA MAGDALENA, kneeling, wipes with her hair feet of Christ, cross-nimbed, raising His right hand, seated at draped table with Apostle Peter, nimbed, tonsured, Simon the Pharisee, wearing pointed cap, raising right hand, and man.
(26 of 51)