225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Angers, between 1465 and 1470
M.248 fol. 19r
Miniature is architectural setting with six niches:
1) Virgin Mary: Annunciation -- In center and largest niche, archangel Gabriel, head surmounted by cross, holding tall fleur-de-lis scepter with left hand, indicates, with right hand, Virgin Mary, nimbed, hands crossed on breast. Draped prie-dieu on which is book, is between them. Next to head of Gabriel is text AUE G(RACIA) P(LEANA) D(OMINUS) T(ECUM). Dove of Holy Ghost, nimbed, hovers amid rays above them.
Scene in niche with vault supported by four colonnettes, with arches decorated with tracery; niche supported by segmented marble columns.
2) In upper left niche, Isaiah, indicating Annunciation with left hand, holding with right hand scroll inscribed YSAIE: EGREDIETUR.
3) In upper right niche, Jeremiah, arms crossed on breast standing next to scroll inscribed IEREMIAS: NUNC ... .
4) In lower left niche, Amos, indicating Annunciation with right hand, touching column with left hand, scroll draped over his right arm inscribed AMOS: ECCE UIRGO.
5) In lower right niche, youthful Daniel, wearing hood indicating to right with right hand and holding with left hand scroll inscribed DANIEL: SPECIES TUA (?).
All prophets stand in vaulted niches below tripartite arch.
6) In bottom center niche, escutcheon decorated with heraldry of Jagu de Kerlivio of Brittany (sable three fasces or) surmounted by helmet wearing winged wreath or crown. All flanked by two figures holding clubs.
Setting decorated with architectral ornament, including corbels, pinnacles, canopies beneath which are statues, pilasters and blind tracery.
(29 of 54)