225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 10r
1) Noah: Building of Ark -- Noah, nimbed, holds axe above board on stands, beside God, nimbed, extending hands toward ark amidst landscape setting.
Scene caption, inscribed NOE ZIMBERT DIE ARCHEN. ALS IM GOT DIE MAZE GAB.
2) Noah: in Ark -- Noah, with his head and raised right hand only visible, appears in window of ark toward which is flying dove holding olive branch in beak, above raven pecking at dead animal.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SANTE NOE DEN RABEN VZ D(ER) ARCHEN. VN(DE) DIE TUBE.
3) Noah: Nakedness -- Noah, nimbed, resting head on right arm, sits beside vine and jug of wine, approached by Shem and Japheth. One with draped left hand before his eyes covers father, and the other raises right hand. Only extended hand of Ham is visible.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SLAFET NOE VERTRUNCHEN UNDE DECHENT IN SINE SUNE SEM VN(DE) IAFET.
4) Lot: captured by Kings -- One of two soldiers, wearing helmet and armed with round shield and scabbard, holds sword over right shoulder; the other, in mail, armed with sheathed sword, enters city gate.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE WIRT LOTH ABRAHAMES BRUD(ER) SUN GEVANGEN VN(DE) BEROVBET.
5) Abraham: Rescue of Lot -- Abraham with left hand grasps wrist of Lot and with sword in extended right hand strikes head of soldier armed with round shield and sword, collapsing before helmeted soldier holding sword and shield.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE WART LOTH VON ABRAHAME GELEDIGET.
(3 of 51)