225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Poitiers, ca. 1475
MS M.1001 fol. 18r
Virgin Mary: Annunciation -- Archangel Gabriel, nimbed, wearing fillet, raises right hand, pointing upwards, and kneels before Virgin Mary, nimbed, veiled, hands crossed at breast, seated on bench with open book on lap. Gabriel holds scroll in left hand inscribed AVE GRATIA PLENA. Dove of Holy Ghost, rays as nimbus, flies toward Virgin Mary on rays of light. Scene within room decorated with patterned hanging.
Miniature and text framed by illusionistic architectural border decorated with two statues of a female and male figure and containing the following figures and scenes:
Two angels, one playing harp, inhabit niches.
1) Virgin Mary: Presentation -- Joachim and Anna, raising right hand, stand before stairs. Virgin Mary, nimbed, joined hands raised, climbs stairs towards temple. Head of High Priest appears in doorway of temple at top of stairs.
2) Virgin Mary: Life in Temple -- Within room decorated with patterned hanging, Virgin Mary, nimbed, seated on bench at loom with feet on pillow, weaves purple wool.
3) Virgin Mary: Life in Temple, fed by Angel -- Within room decorated with patterned hanging, Virgin Mary, seated in chair with open book on lap, is approached by angel carrying platter.
1) Male figure, with coin purse at waist, stands within niche.
2) Virgin Mary: Espousal -- High Priest joins hands of Virgin Mary, nimbed, and Joseph the Carpenter, supporting himself with cane. Anna, nimbed, stands behind Virgin Mary, supporting her with both hands. Several figures surround central group.
(3 of 39)