225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1500
MS H.5 fol. 2r
1) Gregory the Great: Scene, celebrating Mass -- In upper vignette, Christ, nimbed, as Man of Sorrows, bleeding from wound into chalice, appears above altar, on which are chalice, book, and triple-crowned tiara surmounted by cross, and before which is Gregory the Great, nimbed, kneeling with joined hands raised. Behind him, male figure, tonsured, kneels. Scene in room with curtain and tile floor. Feast celebrated March 12.
2) In center vignette, Benedict of Montecassino, nimbed, tonsured, wearing habit, holding crozier in left hand and open book with pseudo-inscription in right hand, stands in landscape setting. Feast celebrated on March 21.
3) Virgin Mary: Annunciation -- In lower vignette, Angel Gabriel, nimbed, holding staff surmounted by fleur-de-lis in right hand, extends left hand toward Virgin Mary, nimbed, sitted beneath canopy, hands extended. Dove of Holy Ghost flies amid rays of light toward the Virgin. Scene in room with tile floor. Feast of the Annunciation celebrated March 25.
1) Month, Occupation: March -- In vineyard, two men, wearing hats, prune vines in landscape setting.
2) Zodiac Sign: Aries -- Ram in landscape setting with buildings of city in background.
Miniatures within architectural frame, with two heads or masks beneath ogival arches in upper margin.
(3 of 287)