225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
France, Dijon, late 13th century
MS M.533 fol. 23r
Initial I with 10 medallions enclosing:
1) Moses: smiting Rock -- Three men stand behind Moses, horned, raising left hand, extending stick to water.
2) Moses: Israelites smitten by Amalekites -- Six soldiers wearing mail, one holding sword, three (?) astride bridled horses, confronted.
3) Moses and Jethro: meeting in Wilderness -- Jethro, his raised hands grasped by both hands of Moses, horned.
4) Moses: Hands upheld by Aaron and Hur -- Moses, horned, arms raised, flanked by four men, foremost two possibly holding up arms of Moses.
5) Moses: receiving Law -- Moses, horned, grasping with two hands, top of tablet held by both hands of Christ-Logos, crossed nimbus.
6) Moses: before Ark of Covenant -- Moses, horned, holding model of building with both hands.
7) Moses: Instruction, Aaron set apart -- Aaron, tonsured, wearing chasuable, indicated by left hand of Moses, horned, looking toward Christ-Logos, crossed nimbus, raising right hand, holding object with left hand.
8) Moses: Spies of Canaan -- Moses, horned, holding tablet with right hand, raising left hand, looking toward Joshua and Caleb carrying pole from which hangs bunch of grapes.
9) Moses: Spies of Canaan -- Moses, horned, stands facing Joshua and Caleb. He extends right hand and raises left hand to left hand of each man.
10) Moses: reporting promised Punishment -- Moses, horned, extending right hand to one of three Israelites, looks back over left shoulder toward Christ-Logos, crossed nimbus, raising right hand, holding book with left hand.
Beginning of Book 3, Chapter 1 of Josephus, Antiquitates Judaicae.
(3 of 15)