225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 24r
1) Christ: Resurrection -- Christ, cross-nimbed, fully clothed, rises from sarcophagus with opened lid, raises right hand, and holds cross-inscribed bannered cross-staff in left hand.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE IST ER IRSTANDEN.
2) Christ: Harrowing of Hell -- Christ, cross-nimbed, fully clothed, holds cross-inscribed bannered cross-staff in right hand and with left hand grasps hand of bearded Adam, accompanied by crowned king, possibly David or Solomon, and five figures, all emerging from flaming hell in which are devil and serpent.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE IRLOSET ER UZ D(ER) HELLE SINE HOLDEN.
3) Christ: noli me tangere -- Christ, cross-nimbed, inscribed IHC XPC, holds cross-staff in right hand and scroll in left hand, standing before Mary Magdalen, name inscribed MARIA MAGDALENA, nimbed, veiled, kneeling with hands extended toward Him.
4) Apostle, Thomas: Incredulity -- Thomas (upper part abraded), name inscribed THOMAS, raises right hand, touching wound of raises right hand of Christ, inscribed IHC XPC, cross-nimbed, holding cross-staff in left hand and showing wound in His side.
5) Christ: Ascension -- Hand of God, emerging from cloud, grasps right hand of Christ, cross-nimbed, holding bannered cross-staff in left hand and ascending to right, above nimbed Virgin Mary, veiled, and tonsured Apostle Peter, both flanked by five apostles, all nimbed, gesturing.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE VERT ER UF ZE HIMELE.
(31 of 51)