225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 24v
1) Pentecost -- Dove of Holy Ghost, descending from cloud, issues rays toward twelve nimbed apostles, including tonsured Apostle Peter, holding book, and nine apostles, some holding books and some gesturing, all seated on bench; in upper corners, only heads of two nimbed apostles are visible.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE WERDENT DIE ZWELF BOTEN ERFULLET VON DEM HEILIGEN GEISTE.
2) Trinity: Mercy Seat (?) (suggesting Type) -- God, cross-nimbed, seated on cushioned bench, holds cross to which Christ (largely destroyed) is affixed, surrounded by four nimbed Beasts, as half figures, the eagle holding scroll, and the angel holding book, all in medallions. Dove of Holy Ghost missing.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SIZZET ER IN SINER DRIVALDICHEIT.
3) Christ: in Mandorla -- Christ, cross-nimbed, raises right hand in blessing, holds book in left hand, and sits on arc, with feet on arc, in mandorla.
Scene caption, inscribed VNDE HIE IN SINER MANCRAFT.
4) Henry II, and Cunegundis -- Henry II, nimbed, crowned, holds scepter in left hand and extends right hand toward Cunegundis, nimbed, crowned, raising fleur-de-lis toward him; both are flanked by one male attendant with staff in right hand and left hand raised, and two female attendants, one with left hand raised.
Names of the royal couple, inscribed DIZ IST DER KUNICH HEINRICH VN(DE) S(ANC)TE KUNIGUNT.
5) Wenceslaus of Bohemia, name inscribed SCS WENZEZLAUS, nimbed, wearing armor, stands with spear in right hand and shield in left hand.
(32 of 51)