225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, ca. 1430
MS M.64 fol. 63r
Christ: Flight into Egypt -- Joseph the Carpenter, wearing hood, with draped staff over his right shoulder, standing at head of bridled ass, extends both arms toward Virgin Mary, nimbed and veiled, astride ass, holding nude Christ Child, cross nimbed. Scene in canopied, windowed, architectural frame, flanked by two columns with niches containing statues, as capitals, and with two nude statues blowing horns on top.
Lower margin, within circle of foliage:
1) Christ: Flight into Egypt, Rest -- Virgin Mary, nimbed, and Joseph the Carpenter, wearing hood, sit on ground next to ass. Christ Child, nimbed, kneels on ground by spring.
2) Group of soldiers wearing armor, helmets, some holding shields, other holding spears.
Right margin, within circle of foliage:
1) Christ: Flight into Egypt, Bending of Palm Tree -- Joseph the Carpenter, wearing hood, holding staff draped with cloth on left shoulder with left hand is behind ass next to tree. Virgin Mary, nimbed, holds Christ Child astride ass.
2) Christ: Flight into Egypt, Miracle of Cornfield -- Group of soldiers, wearing armor and helmets, two holding shields stand next to cornfield. Man faces them raising right arm.
3) Christ: flight into Egypt -- Virgin Mary, nimbed, holding Christ Child, astride ass led by Joseph the Carpenter, hooded, holding staff over left shoulder.
Margins decorated with border of foliate and floreate ornament, including strawberry.
(36 of 47)