225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Belgium, Bruges, ca. 1500
MS M.52 fol. 258r
Text framed by historiated border with continuous landscape in which following scenes occur:
1) David: Spoiling of Goliath -- In the lower border, within building, David, with two attendants including one holding raised sword, looks on as two men, one on ladder, raise breastplate of Goliath. The rest of his armor lies on ground beneath ladder. To right, draped altar with tabernacle and two tablets.
2) David: given Michal in Marriage -- Outside building in front of entrance, Saul, crowned, looks on as high priest, wearing vestments, raises right hand above joined hands of David and Michal, crowned. Three female attendants, including one holding bottom of her mantle, follow Michal. Two men, standing behind high priest, look on.
3) Saul: hurling Javelin at David -- In right border, within building, Saul, flanked by two attendants, seated on throne behind which is patterned hanging, aims sword held in right hand at David, holding harp.
4) David: Saul's Spear taken -- In top right corner, Abishai and David, both wearing armor, take spear and pitcher from Saul, reclining in cave within rocky outcropping, asleep.
5) David: at Engedi -- Above, to right, David, wearing armor, cuts hem of Saul's robe with knife.
6) David: Saul's Spear returned -- Above, atop rocky outcropping, David raises pitcher, held in right hand, and bannered spear, held in left hand, above his head. Abishai stands beside him, holding spear.
Decorated initial B begins Psalm 1 (Vulg., 1).
(37 of 93)