225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Hours of Henry VIII
France, Tours, ca. 1500
MS H.8 fol. 2v
Month, Occupation: April -- Within fenced garden, young woman, garlands in hair, seated on ground, weaves garland. Young man, wearing cap, standing beside her, extends bouquet, held in right hand, towards her. He holds another bouquet in left hand.
In background is landscape.
Below miniature, historiated border frames calendar.
1) Ambrose of Milan, nimbed, wearing bishop's miter and vestments, holds crozier in right hand and open book in left hand. Feast celebrated April 4.
2) Saint, male, nimbed, standing, hands joined.
3) Saint, male, nimbed, wearing hat, half-figure, raises right hand, pointing, and holds staff in left hand.
1) George of Cappadocia: slaying Dragon -- George of Cappadocia, nimbed, wearing armor, stands above and transfixes dragon with spear. Feast celebrated April 23.
2) Evangelist Mark, nimbed, holds open book. Feast celebrated April 25.
1) Saint, male, nimbed, wearing hat, half-figure, raises joined hands.
2) Saint, male, nimbed, half-figure.
3) Zodiac Sign: Taurus -- Bull within roundel.
4) Peter Martyr, nimbed, half-figure, tonsured, dagger in right shoulder, holds open book in both hands. Feast celebrated April 29.
5) Eutropius of Saintes, nimbed, half-figure, wearing bishop's miter and vestments, axe in skull, raises right hand in blessing and holds crozier in left hand. Feast celebrated April 30.
(4 of 56)