225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Belgium, possibly Liège, ca. 1260
MS M.295 fol. 7r
Initial I is decorated with foliate ornament and with fantastic animals at top and bottom and contains eight medallions, and a tri-lobed space enclosing:
1) Creation Scene: 1st Day -- Christ-Logos, cross nimbed and beardless, raising right hand and holding globe in draped left hand, is seated on bench.
2) Creation Scene: 2nd Day -- Christ-Logos, cross nimbed and beardless, gestures with right hand toward cloud.
3) Creation Scene -- Christ-Logos, cross nimbed and beardless, gestures with right hand toward globe surrounded by water and cloud.
4) Creation Scene: 3rd Day -- Christ-Logos, cross nimbed and beardless, gestures with right hand toward disk or globe above water.
5) Creation Scene: 4th Day -- Christ-Logos, cross nimbed (?) and beardless, arms raised, holds disk or globe in each hand in cloud.
6) Creation Scene: 5th Day -- Christ-Logos, cross nimbed and beardless, gestures with right hand toward two birds and in left hand holds fish above water.
7) Creation Scene: 6th Day and Eve: Creation -- Christ-Logos, cross nimbed, His right arm raised, is flanked by four animals and by Adam and Eve.
8) Christ: Crucifixion -- Christ, cross nimbed, beardless, eyes closed and wearing short loin cloth, is affixed to cross with three nails. He is flanked by Virgin Mary and Evangelist John. Both are nimbed.
9)Christ: Flagellation -- Christ, unnimbed, beardless and wearing loin cloth, stands behind column with hands crossed in front. He is flanked by two torturers each wielding scourges.
10) Virgin Mary, nimbed, veiled and crowned is seated on bench holding on her right knee, with both hands, Christ Child, nimbed, His right hand raised.
11) Virgin Mary: Annunciation -- Archangel Gabriel gestures with right hand toward Virgin Mary, nimbed and veiled.
12) At bottom, flanked by two trees, monk, tonsured, raises hands joined in prayer.
Scenes are against blue background, within initial decorated with foliate ornament and with of fantastic animals.
Beginning of Genesis.
(4 of 82)