225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
England, Oxford, between 1212 and 1220
MS M.43 fol. 27v
Psalm 001 (Vulg., 001)
1) Jesse: Tree -- Jesse, scalloped nimbus, reclines sleeping with left hand to face on draped bed. With right hand, he supports branches enclosing four seated figures as follows:
David as musician, crowned, plays harp; Solomon, crowned, holds sword; Virgin Mary, nimbed, veiled, crowned, holds book; and Christ, cross-nimbed, raises right hand in blessing and holds book in left hand on left knee. All are flanked by Moses with Tables of Law and thirteen Prophets, all nimbed, as three-quarter to half figures, some holding scrolls or books, and some gesturing.
Tree of Jesse within initial B decorated with foliate and interlace ornament.
Medallion, at center of vertical bar of initial B:
David as Musician -- David, seated on bench, plays harp.
2) Apostle Peter holds two keys in left hand and extends right hand toward apostle, with right hand raised and book in left hand; both, nimbed, sit, within elliptical medallion.
3) Virgin Mary: Coronation -- Christ, decorated crossed nimbus, holds book in left hand and with right hand crowns Virgin Mary, nimbed, veiled, orant; both sit on bench, within elliptical medallion. They are flanked by two nimbed seraphim, within medallions, and by half figures of four nimbed angels with joined hands raised, turned toward the couple.
4) Apostle, with book in left hand, extends right hand toward Apostle Paul with sword in right hand and left hand raised, seated; both, nimbed, within elliptical medallion.
5) Evangelist John and apostle, both nimbed, hold books, within elliptical medallion at center. Above and below, two nimbed seraphim in elliptical medallions; above, half figures of three mitered bishops, and below, half figures of six tonsured clerics, all representing the Elect.
6) Two nimbed apostles, holding books, sit within elliptical medallion at center. Above and below, two nimbed seraphim in elliptical medallions; above, half figures of three crowned kings and three tonsured clerics, and below, half figures of crowned queens, and women, all representing the Elect.
7) and 8) Two pairs of nimbed apostles, seated, gesture toward another; three hold books; each pair in elliptical medallion.
9) Christ: Last Judgment -- Four of five nude Damned in flames within bestial devil, grasping the prostrate fifth in its mouth, all within elliptical medallion. They are flanked by two nimbed angels blowing trumpets, and by two bestial devils with grapnels attacking nude man and woman, each in sarcophagus, within medallion.
(41 of 63)