225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Germany, Regensburg, ca. 1360
MS M.769 fol. 7r
In Initial I Christ, crossed nimbus, arms crossed, holding scepter with left hand, raising right hand in blessing.
Creation Scene: 1st Day -- Half-figure of Christ-Logos, crossed nimbus, emerging from clouds, raising right hand in blessing, indicating with left hand scroll inscribed FIAT FIAT FIAT. Clouds above Him; below, water and stones (?).
Above initial, half-figure of angel holding scroll inscribed HIE HEBT SICH DIE WIBEL AN.
Medallions from upper left:
1) Daniel, wearing hat, indicating downward toward Christ with right hand, holding with right hand scroll inscribed LAPIS ABSISSUS DE MONTE SINE (Daniel 2:34 and 2:45, variant)
2) Personification of Wisdom, crowned, indicating Christ with right hand, holding with left hand scroll inscribed MORTE TURPISSIMA CONDEMNEMUS EUM (Wisdom, 2:20, variant).
3) Prophet, wearing hat, raising right hand, holding with draped left hand scroll inscribed PROPHETAM SUSCITABIT UOBIS DOMIN(US) IP(SU)M AU(DIETIS) ?.
4) Half-figure of prophet, wearing hat, raising right hand, holding with left hand scroll with partially legible inscription ...USQUE AD MORTEM.
5) Half-figure of man, possibly Daniel, indicating with right hand scroll held with left hand and inscribed EUIGILABUNT O(MN)ES ALII I(N) UITA(M) ETERN(AM) (Daniel 12:2, variant)
6) Half-figure of man, possibly Amos, wearing knotted headgear, holding with both hands scroll inscribed QUI EDIFICAT ASCENSIONEM SUAM IN CELO (Amos 9:6, variant)
Half-figures are enclosed in medallions of leafy vine.
(5 of 231)