225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1500
MS H.5 fol. 3r
Cross in landscape setting. Feast of Invention of the Cross celebrated May 3.
1) In upper vignette, tau-cross is flanked by Apostle James Minor, nimbed, holding walking stick in right hand, and Apostle Philip, nimbed, extending left hand and holding shaft of the cross with right hand. Figures in landscape setting. Feast of Apostles Philip and James celebrated May 1.
2) Evangelist, John: boiled in Oil -- In center vignette, Evangelist John, nimbed, nude, standing with joined hands raised in cauldron, is flanked by two tormentors stoking fire with sticks or pokers. Feast of Apostle John before the Latin Gate celebrated May 6.
3) Nicholas of Myra: Scene, Three Youths rescued from Barrel -- In lower vignette, Nicholas of Myra, nimbed, wearing bishop's miter and vestments and holding crozier in left hand, raises right hand in blessing toward three nude youths in barrel, two with joined hands raised. Scene in room. Feast for translation of relics of Nicholas celebrated May 9.
1) Month, Occupation: May -- Man, wearing hat and holding purse with both hands, is arm in arm with woman, veiled, her left hand on the man's sleeve. Figures in landscape setting.
2) Zodiac Sign: Gemini -- Nude male and female figures embrace amid foliage.
Miniatures within architectural frame, with head or mask between garlands in upper margin.
(5 of 287)