225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Hours of Henry VIII
France, Tours, ca. 1500
MS H.8 fol. 3r
Month, Occupation: May -- Man and woman, carrying branches, accompanied by two dogs, walk hand-in-hand along road through forest. In background is landscape.
Below miniature, historiated border frames calendar.
1) Apostle Philip, nimbed, holds cross-staff in right hand. Feast celebrated May 1.
2) Apostle James, nimbed, holds book in both hands. Feast celebrated May 1.
3) Tau-cross. Feast of Finding the True Cross celebrated May 3.
1) Bernardinus of Siena, nimbed, hooded, wearing Franciscan habit, holds disk with rays in right hand and open book in left hand. Translation of Relics celebrated May 17; feast celebrated May 20.
2) Bishop, nimbed, wearing miter and bishop's vestments, raises right hand in blessing and holds crozier in left hand.
3) Pope, nimbed, wearing triple-crowned tiara, half-figure, raises right hand in blessing and holds papal cross with left hand.
1) Saint, male, nimbed, half-figure.
2) Saint, male, nimbed, half-figure, tonsured, holding open book.
3) Zodiac Sign: Gemini -- Couple, both nude, embrace within roundel.
4) Petronilla of Rome, nimbed, wearing wimple, half-figure. Feast day celebrated May 31.
5) Saint, male, nimbed, half-figure, holding staff with both hands.
(5 of 56)