225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Rouen, early 16th century
MS M.431 fol. 159v
1) Denis of Paris: carrying Head -- Denis, wearing chasuable, cradling head, nimbed and wearing bishop's miter.
2) Blasius of Sebaste, nimbed, wearing miter and holding comb.
3) George of Cappadocia: slaying Dragon -- George, nimbed, as soldier, wearing heraldic tabard (argent a cross gules), standing on belly of recumbent dragon, piercing it through mouth with spear.
4) Giles of Provence, nimbed and tonsured, right hand pierced by arrow, holding crozier with left hand, doe standing before him on hind feet.
5) Christopher of Lycia: carrying Christ Child -- Christopher, nimbed, grasping staff with both hands, walking in water carrying on his shoulders Christ Child, nimbed, raising right hand in blessing, holding cross surmounted globe with left hand.
Margins decorated with border of vine scroll and floreate ornament, including strawberry, in gold lozenges.
(52 of 59)