225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Hours of Henry VIII
France, Tours, ca. 1500
MS H.8 fol. 3v
Month, Occupation: June -- Three men, wearing short pants, mow hay with scythes. Within two rows of pruned trees, two women rake hay into stacks. Beyond them is empty cart. Wine casks and a bundle of food are in foreground.
In background is landscape.
Below miniature, historiated border frames calendar.
1) Marcellinus of Rome, nimbed, holds book in both hands. Feast celebrated June 2.
2) Apostle Barnabas, nimbed, hooded, holds spear in right hand. Feast celebrated June 11.
3) Saint, male, nimbed, hands clasped, half-figure.
1) John Baptist, nimbed, wearing animal skin, points with right hand to Lamb of God, cross-nimbed, held in his left hand. Feast of his Nativity celebrated June 24.
2) Eligius of Noyon, nimbed, wearing bishop's miter and vestments. Feast of Translation of Relics celebrated June 25.
3) Saint, male, nimbed, half-figure.
1) Saint, male, nimbed, wearing hat, hands folded at chest, half-figure.
2) Saint, male, nimbed, half-figure, holds scroll.
3) Zodiac Sign: Cancer -- Crab within roundel.
4) Apostle Paul, nimbed, half-figure, holds sword in right hand. Feast celebrated June 29.
5) Apostle Peter, nimbed, holds key in right hand. Feast celebrated June 29.
(6 of 56)