225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Belgium, Bruges, ca. 1500
MS M.52 fol. 412r
Text framed by historiated border with the following scenes:
1) In upper left border, Anthony of Padua, nimbed, tonsured, wearing habit, within landscape, reads book held in both hands.
2) Anthony of Padua: Assailed by Demons -- Below, Anthony, nimbed, tonsured, wearing habit, within landscape, is assailed by winged demon
3) Anthony of Padua: at Prayer-- In lower border, framed by first of three arches, Anthony, nimbed, tonsured, wearing habit, kneels within chapel at prie-dieu with crucifix. He holds book in both hands.
4) Anthony of Padual: Scene, Unidentified -- Within next three arches, Anthony, nimbed, tonsured, wearing habit, is flanked by two Franciscan monks, tonsured, wearing habits. Third monk stands at far right beside door.
4) Anthony of Padua: Death -- Within arc of heaven, God, crowned, surrounded by saints, including Virgin Mary, appears above Anthony, nimbed, tonsured, wearing habit, reclining on bed within room, hands crossed. He is surrounded by monks, tonsured, wearing vestments. One holds candle, a second holds crucifix. Priest, wearing vestments, standing beside bed, holds vessel in both hands.
5) Anthony of Padua: Burial -- In right border, four monks, tonsured, wearing habits, carry body of Anthony on bier amid mourners, in procession led by priests and bishop, wearing miter and vestments, going toward city of Padua. Within church, in upper right border, figures lay his body in tomb.
(66 of 93)