225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 12r
1) Jacob: instructed by Rebecca -- Within building, Rebecca, wearing headdress, sits on cushioned bench, raising hands toward bowl held by Jacob.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE GIT REBECCA IRME SUN IACOB EIN MOS DAZ ERZ VOR SINEN VAT(ER) TRAGE.
2) Isaac: blessing Jacob -- Isacc, blind, lies on mattress beneath cover, holding bowl in left hand and raising right hand to head of Jacob bending toward him.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SEGENT YSAAC SINEN SUN IACOB.
3) Isaac: Esau asking Blessing -- Esau rends his garment, before Isaac, blind, seated on mattress, raising right forefinger toward Esau and holding tau-staff in left hand.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE ZERICHET ESAU VOR LEIDE SINE CLEIDER DURH DAZ SIN VATER IACOB HETE GE SEGENET.
4) Jacob and Rachel: at Well -- Rachel and Leah, as shepherdesses, hold bucket on rope, behind sheep beside well in front of Jacob raising club in right hand and with left hand pushing shoulder of man, wearing conical hat, with staff in right hand, beside man and sheep.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE IST IACO GECHOMEN IN DAZ LANT DA SIN OHEIM WAS VN(DE) VANT BI EINEM BURNEN SINES OHEIMES TOCHTER ZUO. DO V(ER)TREIB ER DI H(IR)TEN UNZ SINE NIFTELN IR SCHAF TRENCKEN.
5) Jacob and Laban: Meeting -- Rachel and Leah, as shepherdesses holding staves, stand beside horned sheep. Both indicate Jacob and Laban, embracing at portal of building in which wife of Laban, wearing headdress, stands with right hand raised toward them.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE TRIBEN SI DI SCHAF HEIM. HIE ENTFET LIBAN SIN(ER) SWEST(ER) SUN IACOB. LABAN WIB.
(7 of 51)