225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1500
MS H.5 fol. 4r
Within column of architectural frame stands bishop, possibly Martin of Tours, nimbed, wearing miter and vestments, holding crozier in left hand and raising right hand in blessing. Possibly referring to Feast of Translation of Martin's Relics celebrated July 4.
1) In upper vignette, Mary Magdalen, nimbed, holding ointment jar with both hands, stands amid rocks in landscape setting. Feast celebrated July 22.
2) In center vignette, Christopher of Lycia: carrying Christ Child -- Christopher, nimbed, holding walking stick with both hands, stands in river, carrying on his back nimbed Christ Child, raising right hand in blessing and holding unidentified object in left hand. On left bank of river, Apostle James Major, wearing pilgrim's hat and pilgrim's purse, raises left hand and holds staff in right hand. Feast of Christopher of Lycia celebrated July 25 (not in calendar); feast of Apostle James Major celebrated July 25.
3) Virgin Mary: Infancy, Instruction -- In lower vignette, Anna, nimbed, veiled, seated, holds open book with right hand and indicates line of pseudo-inscription with left hand. Before her, Virgin Mary, nimbed, kneels, with both hands on the book. Figures in room in which is bed (?) with canopy. Feast of Anna celebrated July 26.
1) Month, Occupation: July -- Two men, wearing hats, harvest grain; one holds sickle in right hand and shaft of grain in left hand.
2) Zodiac Sign: Leo -- Lion in landscape setting with buildings of city in background.
Miniatures within architectural frame, with face or mask beneath arch in upper margin.
(7 of 287)