225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1500
MS H.5 fol. 4v
1) In upper vignette, Apostle Peter, nimbed, holding key in right hand and open book with pseudo-inscription in left hand, stands in landscape setting. Feast of Peter in Chains celebrated August 1.
2) Virgin Mary: Assumption -- In center vignette, Virgin Mary, nimbed, veiled, emanating rays, is supported by flanking angels. Feast of Assumption celebrated August 15.
3) John Baptist: Beheading -- In lower vignette, John Baptist's body, wearing skins, with arms crossed and raised, is on ground. Over the body, executioner, wearing hat, holds sword in right hand and holds John Baptist's head by hair over plate held by Salome, wearing headdress. Figures in front of prison with open portal. Feast of Beheading of John Baptist celebrated August 29.
1) Above column of architectural frame Lawrence of Rome, tonsured, wearing deacon's vestments, raises right hand and with left hand touches gridiron. Feast celebrated August 10.
2) Within column of architectural frame Apostle, Bartholomew stands, right hand holding flaying knife, skin draped over his left arm. Feast celebrated August 24.
1) Month, Occupation: August -- Man threshing grain with flail in front of decorated wall.
2) Zodiac Sign: Virgo -- Half figure of maiden, raising left hand and holding branch in right hand, is in landscape setting with sheafs of grain.
Miniatures within architectural frame, with pseudo inscription in arch of upper margin.
(8 of 287)