225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Germany, possibly Bamberg, 1204-1219
MS M.739 fol. 13r
1) Jacob: Dream -- Jacob reclines on stones under cover. Nimbed angel emerges from cloud, with right hand extended, at top of ladder. Tree.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE SIET IACOB IN SIME SLAFE VSERN HERREN OBEN AN DER LEIDERN DI VON HIMELE VF DIE ERDEN REICHETE.
2) Jacob: anointing Stone of Bethel -- Jacob pours oil from horn of unction on stone.
Scene caption, inscribed DO IACOB UF STUNT DO RICHT(ER) UF EINE(N) STEIN VN(DE) GOZ OLE DER UF VN(DE) SP(RA)H WAERLICHE DISE STAT IST HEILICH VN(DE) DES NE WIST ICH NICHT.
3) Jacob: wrestling with Angel -- Angel wrestles with Jacob; tree.
Scene caption, inscribed HIE RINCHET IACOB MIT DEM ENGELE VN(DE) WARF IM DER ENGEL DIE HUF ABE.
4) Jacob: Messengers to Esau -- Messenger, labelled DIZ IST IACOBES KNECHT, with staff in right hand, beside ass and two sheep, with left hand raised, addresses Esau, name inscribed ESAV, with sheathed sword at waist and right hand raised.
5) Jacob and Esau: Meeting -- Messenger, inscribed IACOBES KNECHT, wearing pointed hat, with staff in right hand, stands behind goat and two sheep. Maidservant stands beside Rachel and Leah wearing headdresses and pointing with their right hands toward Jacob and Esau, embracing.
Scene caption, inscribed IACOBES WIB VN(DE) SIN DIERNE. IACOB VN(DE) ESAV ENPFET IN.
(9 of 51)