225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
France, Paris, ca. 1500
MS H.5 fol. 5r
1) Within upper portion of column of architectural frame is cross in landscape setting. Feast of Exaltation of the Cross celebrated September 14.
2) Angel, Archangel Michael: transfixing Satan -- Within lower portion of column of architectural frame Archangel Michael, holding sword above his head in right hand and shield in left hand, treads on Satan, on ground. Feast celebrated September 29.
1) Giles of Provence: Scene, shielding Doe -- In upper vignette, bishop, nimbed, wearing miter and vestments, raises right hand in blessing and holding crozier in left hand. At right, Giles of Provence, nimbed, tonsured, wearing habit, holds open book in left hand and touches head of doe with right hand, pierced with arrow and bleeding. Scene in room. Feast of St. Giles celebrated September 1.
2) Virgin Mary: Birth -- In center vignette, female attendant, wearing hat, extends cup toward Anna, nimbed, veiled, hands joined, reclining on bed with canopy. In foreground, midwife, wearing hat, holds infant Virgin Mary, nimbed, nude, in basin on tile floor. Scene takes place in room. Feast of Birth of Virgin celebrated September 8.
3) In lower vignette, Evangelist Matthew, nimbed, wearing hat, sits beneath canopy, writing with pen in right hand on parchment in lap. At left, his symbol (angel), nimbed, holds ink horn in right hand. Feast celebrated September 21.
1) Month, Occupation: September -- Man, wearing hat and apron gathered in left hand, sows seeds with right hand. Scene in landscape setting with bag of seeds on ground.
2) Zodiac Sign: Libra -- Scales held by hand above landscape setting.
Miniatures within architectural frame.
(9 of 287)