225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Belgium, Bruges, ca. 1500
MS M.52 fol. 5v
Historiated border decorated with architectural ornament and containing cama³aeu figures, medallions, and miniature in lower border frames calendar.
Top border, in cama³aeu:
Scene, Sports and Games: Jousting -- Man looks on as two men swim in water beside two boats engaged in joust. On each boat, man, holding lance, stands on platform attached to boat rowed by oarsmen.
Left border, decorated with angels in cama³aeu, contains nine medallions and panel with the following scenes:
1) Apostle, Peter: Release from Prison -- Angel extends hand toward Apostle Peter, rays as nimbus, seated on bench within prison. Pieces of broken chain are on ground at his feet.
Feast of Apostle Peter in Chains celebrated August 1.
2) In first half of demi-roundel, Virgin Mary, nimbed, crowned, holding Christ Child, nude, stands before door of Portiuncula Chapel. Banner decorated with red cross hanging from side of tower.
Feast of Dedication of Portiuncula celebrated August 2.
Virgin Mary: Miracle of Snow -- In second half of demi-roundel, Virgin Mary, holding Christ Child, both nimbed, appears in sky above group of acolytes, including two holding liturgical umbrellas, Pope Liberius, wearing triple-crowned tiara, holding unidentified object, and cardinal. Snow falls below her.
Feast of Miracle of Snow celebrated August 5.
3) Christ: Transfiguration -- Elias and Moses, appearing in sky, flank Christ, appearing amid rays of light before Evangelist John, Apostle Peter, and James Major, all nimbed and shielding eyes with hands or arms.
Feast of Transfiguration celebrated August 6.
4) Lawrence of Rome: Martyrdom -- Two executioners prod with pitchforks Lawrence of Rome, nude, on gridiron over flames as emperor Valerius looks on. Third executioner carries faggot on back toward figures. Above, God appears in arc of heaven.
Feast celebrated August 10.
5) Virgin Mary: Death, and Apostles: Miraculous Assembly(?) -- Within bedroom, ten apostles, including one holding candle, gather around Virgin Mary, eyes closed, reclining on bed. All figures are nimbed. To left, within landscape, figure, possibly Evangelist John, kneels below angel, appearing in arc of heaven, extending arm to John.
Feast of Assumption celebrated August 15.
6) Louis of Toulouse, nimbed, wearing bishop's miter and vestments, holding staff in right hand and open book in left hand, is seated on cathedra. He is flanked by four Franciscan monks, all kneeling.
Feast celebrated August 16.
(9 of 93)