225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
France, Dijon, late 13th century
MS M.533 fol. 97v
Initial I decorated with seven medallions enclosing:
1) Athaliah: Massacre of Royal Seed (?) -- Man, woman holding left hand on breast and extending right hand, and partially visible figure stand before Athaliah, crowned, raising right hand, holding scepter with left hand, standing in opening to building.
2) Athaliah: Death -- High Priest, as bishop wearing miter, holding crozier with right hand, raising left hand stands behind executioner raising sword with right hand, touching with left hand crowned head of Athaliah. She kneels with joined hands raised.
3) Joash, King of Judah: made King -- High Priest, wearing miter, holding crozier with right hand, raises left hand and looks toward Joash, crowned, raising right hand, holding scepter with left hand.
4) Elisha: Widow's Oil -- Woman wearing berbette, is flanked by two boys, holding one hand of each boy with one of her hands.
5) Elisha: Widow's Oil -- Of three figures, third only partially visible, the foremost, possibly creditor, with arms crossed on breast and gesturing with right hand stands looking at widow wearing berbette, with joined hands raised. Two boys stand behind her.
6) Elisha: Widow's Oil -- Elisha, arms crossed on breast, gesturing with right hand, stands looking toward widow, wearing berbette, raising right hand. Two boys stand behind her.
7) Elisha: Widow's Oil -- Widow, wearing berbette, pours oil from one vessel into one of several vessels.
Beginning of Book 9, Chapter 1 of Josephus, Antiquitates Judaicae.
(9 of 15)