225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
England, perhaps Oxford, ca. 1265
MS G.42 fol. 6r
Initial I decorated with 11 barbed quatrefoils enclosing:
1) Creation Scene: 1st Day -- Christ Logos, cross-nimbed, stands turned to right, arms raised toward clouds; earth is at His feet.
2) Creation Scene: 2nd Day -- Christ Logos, cross-nimbed, right hand raised, left hand at His waist, stands between two bodies of water.
3) Creation Scene: 3rd Day -- Christ Logos, cross-nimbed, orant, stands amid plants.
4) Creation Scene: 4th Day -- Christ Logos, cross-nimbed, stands holding sun and moon in raised arms.
5) Creation Scene: 5th Day -- Christ Logos, cross-nimbed, right hand raised, left hand extended, stands beside bird and animals.
6) Eve: Creation -- Adam, nude, reclines on ground on his left side, his back turned. Eve is drawn from his right side by left hand of Christ Logos, cross-nimbed, His right hand raised.
7) Creation Scene: God resting -- Christ Logos, cross-nimbed, right hand raised, left holding book on left leg, is seated on cushioned bench with footrest.
8) Adam and Eve: Fall of Man -- Serpent with female head, Lilith, entwining tree, is flanked by Adam and Eve. Adam, nude, holds fruit to mouth with left hand, extending right hand toward Eve, holding fruit in her left hand and right hand holding fruit extended toward head of serpent.
9) Adam and Eve: Expulsion -- Angel, sword in right hand raised over head, behind Adam, nude, covering himself with fig leaf with right hand, indicating angel over right shoulder with left hand, and Eve, mostly hidden, left hand raised.
10) Virgin Mary: Annunciation -- Archangel Gabriel, nimbed, indicates Virgin Mary with right hand and holds scroll, illegible, in left hand and Virgin Mary, nimbed and veiled, raises right hand and holds book at waist with left hand.
11) Christ Crucifixion -- Christ, nimbed, head inclined, wearing long loin cloth, affixed with three (?) nails to cross, is flanked by Virgin Mary, nimbed and veiled, hands joined at breast and by Evangelist John, nimbed, head resting on right hand.
Scenes on gold background in barbed quatrefoils themselves on blue ground with gold vine scroll and flower between each; decorated with marginal extensions containing foliate ornament, male figure, vine scroll, animal mask, lion and fantastic animals and birds (?).
Beginning of Genesis.
(1 of 86)