225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Italy, Bologna, 1497
M.53 fol. 1v
Jerome, wearing cap and red fur-lined garment, is seated on faldstool, looking toward small book, held open with right hand. Book is on draped table with inkpot, pen and knife or scraper. With his left hand he holds book on lap. Lion sits at his feet. In background, at opening in rocky outcrop, Jerome as hermit, nimbed, body partially clad, with right hand on breast, kneels before crucifix set in stone base. Cardinal's hat hangs at opening in rock; books visible on shelves inside.
Figures in landscape with trees and stream; hills in distance.
1) Vignette with salamander amid flames with scroll inscribed NVTRIOR.
2) Medallion enclosing knotted cord with tassles, entwined by scroll inscribed F(IDES) ET A(MOR).
3) Vignette with flowering plant with scroll inscribed SMA.
4) Medallion enclosing sheep or lamb with scroll inscribed [...]D EST PATI(OR)
5) Medallion enclosing bundle of rods with scroll inscribed VN(ITAS) F(ORTIOR).
6) Vignette with leopard, holding palm, emerging from flames below scroll inscribed SPES MEA
7) Vignette with three broken rods with scroll inscribed D(IVISO) FRAGILIS
Margins decorated with border of gold scroll and floreate ornament.
(1 of 7)