225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
France, Beauvais or Paris, 1275-1299
MS M.98 fol. 1r
Initial B, infilling:
Psalm 001 (Vulg., 001).
1) David: as Musician -- David, crowned, sits with legs crossed on bench , tuning harp. He is flanked by two musicians, crowned, playing fiddle and psaltery.
2) David: slinging atGoliath -- Young David holds stones in tunic with left hand and sling in right hand, while Goliath, in chain mail, falls onto right knee and raises right hand; dog and sheep look up at David; two trees.
Scenes and figures on gold background in initial B decorated with foliage and interlace within decorated frame.
Initial B, volutes:
3) Evangelist: Symbols -- Nimbed angel holds scroll inscribed MATHEVS in both hands; nimbed lion holds scroll inscribed MARCVM in mouth.
4) Evangelist: Symbols -- Foliate bar with two medallions with Evangelist symbols. The upper contains nimbed eagle with scroll inscribed IOHANNES in beak and talons, while the lower contains nimbed, winged ox with scroll inscribed LVCAM held in hooves. Bar decorated with fleurs-de-lis.
Margin, lower (bas-de-page):
1) Lion and monkey face one another.
2) Scene, Sports and Games, Hunting, Deer -- Hunter blows curved horn, and two dogs chasing stag; bird.
All on foliate bar.
(1 of 27)