225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Italy, Bologna, 1497
M.53 fol. 16v
Virgin Mary, nimbed and veiled, is seated on draped throne, holding nude Christ Child, nimbed, on her lap. Donor, Giovanni II Bentivoglio, with joined hands raised, kneels before them.
Figures in landscape with trees and stream; hills in distance.
Below miniature, inscription IOANNES BENTIVOLVS IL SERVVS MEVS FIERI ME FECIT. ANNO DOMINI M.CCCC.LXXXXVII, naming donor, giving date for manuscript.
1) Vignette with salamander amid flames with scroll inscribed NVTRIOR.
2) Medallion enclosing knotted cord with tassles, entwined by scroll inscribed F(IDES) ET A(MOR).
3) Vignette with flowering plant with scroll inscribed SMA.
4) Medallion enclosing sheep or lamb with scroll inscribed [...]D EST PATI(OR)
5) Medallion enclosing bundle of rods with scroll inscribed VN(ITAS) F(ORTIOR).
6) Vignette with leopard, holding palm, emerging from flames below scroll inscribed SPES MEA
7) Vignette with three broken rods with scroll inscribed D(IVISO) FRAGILIS
Margins decorated with border of gold scroll and floreate ornament.
(2 of 7)